Saturday, October 08, 2005

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

I saw the movie, it became probably one of the few romantic comedies I will ever love. I bought the book out of recommendation by Mr. Voerman.

And all I can say is that it's fascinating.

I've read 100 pages in 2 days, here's some of the most interesting passages I've found:

I'm here in this stupid little flat, on my own, and I'm thirty-five years old, and I own a tiny failing business, and my firends don't seem to be friends at all but people whose phone numbers I haven't lost. And if I went back to sleep and slept for forty years and woke up without any teeth to the sound of Melody Radion in an old people's home I wouldn't worry that much, because the worst of life, i.e. the rest of it, would be over. And I wouldn't even have had to kill myself.

'Have you got any soul?' a woman asks the next afternoon. That depends, I feel like saying; some days yes, some days no. A few days ago I was right out; now I've got loads, too much more than I can handle. I wish I could spread it a bit more evenly, I want to tell her, get a balance, but I can't seem to get it sorted. I can see she wouldn't be interested in my internal stock control problems though, so I simply point to where I keep the soul I have, right by the exit, just next to the blues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home